Saturday, March 10, 2012

Springtime in Ohio

March heralds sunny days filled with the promise of springtime... leaf buds are beginning to form on branches and the grass is greening.  Soon the roar of mowers will drown out the melodies of birdsong.  This lovely time of balmly weather and new beginnings, after the icy winds of winter and before the sultry heavy air of summer, is the perfect time to begin new projects.  

I've been busy beading, time consuming when one has glaucoma and can't see the beads as easily as I once did!   I bought a small Ottlite with a magnifying glass on a bendable gooseneck, and that is a big help. I am crocheting granny squares for an afghan in my family room and a knitted stained-glass type afghan is in progress in my living room, so where ever I am sitting there is a project close at hand. But my sewing machine is calling me... there are quilt blocks cluttering my mind and I need to transfer them to fabric.  Speaking of new beginnings... my niece is pregnant with her first baby also, which means one more beloved member of our family tree... and one more reason to make a baby quilt!  I'll be posting photos and instructions for various projects on upcoming blogs, but for now... here's a great muffin recipe from my low-carb list on Yahoo Groups:


Low Carb  Muffin (Muffin in a Minute):
2 Tablespoons ground flax seed or flax meal
2 Tablespoons almond meal or oat bran or oat fiber
2 Tablespoons whipping cream or 1 Tablespoon melted butter
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp baking powder
Cinnamon, generous sprinkle
1 packet Splenda or other low-carb sweetener
(or 1 teaspoon sugar, but it will add carbs)
½ teaspoon vanilla
Mix and put all ingredients into a large mug or bowl, sprayed with cooking spray, and microwave about 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, until done.  It will pop right out of the container. Makes one large muffin, less than 2 countable carbs if you use the flax, almond meal or oat fiber, and artificial sweetener.  I've also added dried cherries or apricots, and that was delicious, too.


What are your passions?  Notice I used the plural... do any of us have just one? 


Have a lovely day, filled with the warmth of love... and peppered with new ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment